Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Forgive


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Forgiveness

Why everybody so hard on the Black man?
I was only being curious.
Like all children.
I didn’t mean no harm

when I used to sneak into yo' room at night

and touch you in all the wrong places.

You was curious too,

cause you didn’t put up no fight.

 
Forgive

I was a chile

Don’t try to blame that mess on me.

Why was I the victim of yo' curiosity?

They didn’t know,

they couldn’t trust y'all boys

Sleeping upstairs on the same flo'

with us girls.

While they slept downstairs

Behind closed doors.

Parents better wake up.

Sometimes da Boogey man……

Is  yo' uncle, yo' brother, or yo' couzin.

Why is everybody so hard on the Black man?

Maybe cause you need to take some responsibility

for all the pain you inflicted upon me.

You had no right to awaken that part.

Maybe my life wouldn’t of been

so full of promiscuity.

If you had just let me be

 from the start.

I know we was kids and that was fifty years ago or so.

So I choose today to let it go.

It’s been buried all this time inside of me.

But now I lose it and set myself free.

No more victim mentality!

 
Forgiveness

Why is everybody always so hard on the Black man?

I was too young to get married.

I just did it

Cause that was my baby you carried.

I didn’t want all that responsibility.

Yeah, I know I had a good job.

But my money was for me.

I wa’nt 'bout to take care of no family.

 
Forgive

Well then Nigga, you should of let me be!

I didn’t propose to you.

You proposed to me.

I was better off with out yo sorry ass, anyway.

To stupid to know,

when you rejected me,

that was just God settin me free.

Why was I so stupid

loving you?

You was busy loving every body else.

You didn’t respect me.

And you didn’t respect yo' self.

Just a punk.

Took me eleven years to get over you.

That’s how long it took for the Kool Aid to wear off,

I drank that syrupy sweet message every Sunday in church.

What God has joined together let no man put asunder.

Why we think God had somethin' to do with that mess?

I wonder.

Till God himself came to me in a dream.

He picked me up and took me across some mountains

down south.

I was liftin' my hands praising God.

When he spoke to me.

“You have done all I asked you, except one thing.”

I heard God say.

Lord, what is it?

I promise to obey.

Then God left off talking.

But I saw my wedding ring

rise up off my hand

 floatin’ up to  the heavens.

My husband?

You want me to give up my husband?

Took me three years just to obey.

Guess you had my nose wide open,

as they say.

Living in the south with all that good old southern hospitality

had a nice healing effect on me.

I thank God everyday for settin me free.

I forgive you and I forgive me.