Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What Color is Tomorrow?


















She wanted to be a teacher
when she grew up
She had light in her eyes
A smile that radiated innocence
Each day she awakened
and gave the sun a kiss
Good morning God
How do the birds sing?
What color is tomorrow?
Why does a bell ring?
Do babies live in heaven?

Her mind always searched for more
One day she went to school
Don't ask so many questions
Raise your hand
Get back in your seat
Why can't you follow the rules?
No room for innovation in public schools
Why do grown ups always frown?
When is tomorrow?
Color me brown
Do all angels have wings?


five
ten
fifteen
twenty
twenty-five
thirty
Why do boys always talk dirty?
Thirty-five
forty
forty-five
fifty
Hope I realize my dreams by the time
I'm sixty

By the time she was sixty-one
her journey had just begun
Her school
defied all conventional rules
No dress code
Individuality
No standardized test
unbridled creativity
Far above the rest
Her students wanted to change the world
feed hungry children
Dig water wells
help orphans
Reach for the sun
Color the moon,
paint pictures with words,
there is so much more
Learn how to fly
How high can I soar?
Break glass ceilings
Knock down every closed door
What do you have in your hand?
My story
Herstory
The world at my command

What color is tomorrow?







 

No comments:

Post a Comment